Thursday, March 28, 2013

Recycled Garden Bench

You know the saying....."one man's trash is another man's treasure". 



I am in love with my little garden bench!  A little shabby-cottage look that I adore. 

The bench (and lots on it) was headed to the trash, but I caught it just in time.  It is a bench that has been on my parent's porch for! ever!  And actually my Mother saved it for me.  My Dad was going to break it down and trash it, but Mother knew I would come up with something and mentioned a garden bench.  She knows me well and had a great idea!



The seat had split all the way across.  Brant simply attached a board underneath to hold it together.  Now it can continue to serve a purpose.  Not a bench to sit on, but a perfect little garden bench loaded with flowers and garden whatnots.



The bench, containers and little knick-knacks are 100% recycled. Either headed to trash or just longing to be repurposed. I purchased a few plants and flowers, but already had the herbs.



Most of the containers and knick-knacks I had on hand.  And some containers were given to me. And the old tree stump....gift from God.  It is a perfect addition to all my recycled treasures. We even used the stump as a container for a pepper plant...you'll see in the last picture.



The old bench created a vision.  I wanted to use different containers rather than traditional pots.  I started looking around our home, our shed, our garage (and my parents' shed) and Wala! 

-Containers: metal buckets, popcorn tin, cooking pot, terracotta pot, teapot and hypertufa pot
-Small decorative rocks from dollar stores bought years ago. Bigger rocks from parks and lakes.
-Birdhouse-Southern Living at Home collection sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
-White popcorn tin sanded and "Keep Calm and Garden On" tag added.
Total cost less than $8(for 2 plants and 2 flowers)!  We had dirt in other containers not being used.



The sun on the shed is happy with my creation. Me too! 

Keep Calm and Garden On!

Recycle, reuse, repurpose something today. 
Think outside your normal box.

7 comments:

Heather Nelsen said...

Oh my! I love all of your new treasures! Brant did a great job on the bench. And that tree stump is seriously cool! I love the "Keep Calm and Garden on" stick on the bucket. Too cute!

Happy Easter, Tasha!

~Heather

Jill @Two Yellow Birds Decor said...

How cute is that bench garden! I LOVE it!! What a great idea. Thanks so much for sharing at Thursday's Temptation! I am going to be featuring this tonight at this weeks link party!
Jill

Ana Love Craft said...

Super cute! Love the teapot idea!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

The Thriftiness Miss said...

Love the bench in the garden! It's so pretty with all the lovely plants on/around it.

Mel@Mellywood's Mansion said...

What a beautiful bench so glad you saved it, thanks for linking at inspiration cafe

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

I love this! What a great save girl! Good for your mom for knowing just who to give it too!

Natalie @ NorthShore Days said...

Hi Tasha - you're being featured at Inspiration cafe xx Nat